Top 5 browsers: IE dips below 50% for first time as Chrome and Android rise

04/11/2011

Worldwide Internet Explorer usage has fallen below 50% if mobile and desktop browsers are both taken into account, according to new research. The study, from web analytics tracker NetApplications, showed that IE accounts for 52.63% of all desktop browsers. That's down from 54.39 percent in September and 60.99 percent in October 2010.

04/11/2011

Firefox remained in second place, with 22.51% of the share, but the Mozilla browser has also lost market share this year to third place Google Chrome, which gained 17.62% of the market share, up more than double it’s share the same in time last year.

browsers%20oct11a.JPG

Desktop use makes up about 94% of Internet browsing use, according to NetApplications. The other approximate 6% comes from mobile browsers, and there, Microsoft browsers are not even in the top 5.

Among global mobile browsing usage, Safari ranks first with 62.17 percent, followed by Android at 18.65 percent.

When desktop and mobile platforms are combined, Internet Explorer usage falls below 50 percent: to 49.59 percent.

browser%20oct11b.JPG

Source: NetApplications

<< Back to today’s Digital Intelligence news

Copyright ©2000-2017 Digital Strategy Consulting Limited | All rights reserved | This material is for your personal use only | Using this site constitutes acceptance of our user agreement and privacy policy