As the UK and Europe looks forward to the start of Premier League football on Saturday, new data shows that Wayne Rooney, Gareth Bale and Luis Suarez were the most talked about players in the Premiership's pre-season hype.
The study, from Crimson Hexagon, used the firm's ForSight platform to analyse the conversation and uncover the most talked about footballers.
After analysing 62,510 Twitter posts, with a post volume increase of over 200% in the last three months, Crimson Hexagon discovered:
• Rooney, Bale, and Suarez dominate the conversation, with 25%, 22% and 30% respectively
• There was a major peak in relevant Twitter conversations on 17 July (the day Rooney allegedly handed in his transfer request)
• Overall volumes up by 226% across the time period – May 26 through August 13 – as momentum builds towards start of season and end of transfer window
• Younes Belhanda, a Moroccan/French player, has captured a surprisingly large share of the conversation voice. People talked about him joining premier league sides
• Other players discussed were Lewandowski, Neymar, Cavani, Eriksen, Reus
• Unsurprisingly, 90% of the analysed posts were made by men