eBay has bought Shutl, a UK-based marketplace that uses a network of couriers to deliver local goods the same day, as the online marketplace looks to improve its delivery options to compete with Amazon.
eBay says it believes the acquisition of Shutl’s “technology, talent and expertise will help eBay reach its goal of expanding its local delivery capabilities.”
Shutl aims to bridge the gap between e-tailers and local courier services, giving consumers the choice of a speedy delivery (within 90 minutes of purchase) or a one-hour delivery window at any time.
Shutl doesn’t provide a delivery itself – its technology aggregates capacity across local courier companies into a single web-service that retailers can use to speed-up their delivery options.
The move follws last October’s launch of eBay Now, a service available through iPhone, Android and desktop web that lets shoppers to have products from local stores, delivered in as little as an hour.
eBay Now is one element in a larger strategy to advance eBay’s capabilities in local commerce, and help retailers take advantage of technology to reach more customers and increase sales.
“Today, approximately 75 percent of what people buy is local, found within 15 miles from their home,” said Wenig. “Traditional retail isn’t going away. But it is transforming, and that creates enormous opportunity within the $10 trillion total commerce market.”
eBay’s new local commerce initiatives include:
• eBay Now: The company plans to expand the eBay Now service to 25 markets by the end of 2014, including major metro areas in North America, including Chicago today and Dallas later this year, and select international markets, including London in early 2014.
• Shutl: The company has announced its agreement to acquire Shutl, a marketplace that uses a network of couriers to deliver local goods that same day. The company believes that the acquisition of Shutl’s technology, talent and expertise will help eBay to reach its goal of expanding its local delivery capabilities.
• In-Store Pickup: In keeping with eBay’s commitment to enable shoppers to choose how, where and when they receive purchases, customers can also now buy online at eBay.com and pick-up in local stores. This service is available today for Toys “R” Us and Best Buy, with more retailers coming soon.
• Scheduled Delivery: Soon, eBay will be releasing scheduled delivery for eBay Now, enabling customers to buy something on their mobile phone, pick a time that works for their schedule, and have their items delivered to them then.
• Now on eBay.com: The company also plans to offer eBay Now same-day delivery for local goods on eBay.com, bringing the speed and convenience of eBay Now to cities where the eBay Now service is live.