As the PyeongChang Winter Olympics gets under way, new data from social media technology firm, Sprinklr looks at the social data from Twitter, Instagram public hashtags, Reddit, YouTube and Tumblr in real time.
Over the weekend, Sprinklr is analysed the hashtags associated with the Olympics and hashtags associated with the sports in the Olympics, the countries, previous Olympic games, the athletes and more.
Social Data Recap:
- 1,316,947 people talking about PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics
- 176,568 people have mentioned the PyeongChang 2018 Opening Ceremony
- 2,866 people have mentioned the Korean Unification Flag in association with the Opening Ceremony. 51.6% have a positive sentiment, 48.4% of mentions are negative.
- 2.7K people talking about Soohorang, the Winter Olympics mascot
- 108.6K people talking about metals. 93K talking about Gold, 29K talking about silver and 31K talking about bronze
- 22.4K people talking about Team USA sponsors and Olympics sponsors (sponsors need to be mentioned with an Olympics hashtag or the words Olympics, Winter Olympics or PyeongChang 2018)
- NBC is the most mentioned Team USA sponsor followed by Intel, Ralph Lauren, Coca Cola, Samsung, then Toyota.
- Figure skating is the most mentioned winter sport so far with 59K mentions, followed by curling with 28,624 mentions, then Luge with 21,705 mentions
- 24,836 people have mentioned Women’s team competition
- 17,586 people have mentioned Men’s team competition
- 14,110 people have mentioned men’s individual competition
- 10,514 people have mentioned women’s individual competition
- Top flag emojis in order of most mentioned: American flag, Canadian, South Korean, Britain, Nigeria
- Top Expression Emojis in order of most mentioned: laughing while crying, heart eyes, thoughtful, smiling blush, wink.
- Top food emojis in order of most mentioned: pizza, fork plate knife, apple, hamburger, cookie
- 83.7K people using emojis
- 21.2K people using flag emojis
- Top 3 sports mentioned alongside people talking about Coca Cola: Curling, Figure Skating then Speed Skating.
- Top 3 sports mentioned alongside people talking about Samsung: Figure skating, snowboarding, then skeleton.
- 93% of people who mention Oakley during the Olympics also mention snowboarding
- 64% of people who mention Omega watches during the Olympics also mention Bobsleigh
Sprinklr’s Winter Olympics 2018 data presents social data from Twitter, Instagram public hashtags, Reddit, YouTube and Tumblr collected in real time.
- After the Olympics, we’ll have data collected from February 9th at 12am ET until February 25th at 11:59pm ET.
- Mentions of teams, countries, sports, athletes and other phrases were only included if they simultaneously mentioned one (or more) of the general Olympics hashtags to ensure mentions are focused on the Winter Olympics and not related to other campaigns or social chatter.
- Sources: Sprinklr analyzes the hashtags and words associated with the Olympics, pulling from Twitter, Instagram public hashtags, Reddit, YouTube and Tumblr.
- Languages: Sprinklr pulls in any language that also mentions the hashtags associated with the Olympics. For example, if someone were to post everything in Korean and use English words to hashtag (ie #winterolympics) we would pull in that data.
- Data Source Segment: Olympics” OR “@Olympics” OR “#Olympics” OR “#pyeongchang2018” OR “@pyeongchang2018” OR “pyeongchang 2018”