Manchester agency Creative Lynx scooped the top three gongs at the first ever UK pharma digital media awards ceremony, held this month. The agency was behind the campaign for Janssen-Cilag’s Concerta XL brand, which won two Premier Awards, one for an e-detail and one for brand revitalisation work, and Novartis ‘virtual clinic’, which also scooped a ‘best of the best’ prize. The event, which joins the PM Society’s established annual advertising awards in the industry calendar, gave pharma and its creative partners a chance to showcase the best of their digital work.
Digital media was previously a category in the Advertising Awards – held each year in January – but the sector has now been given its own awards ceremony, acknowledging pharma’s increasing engagement with new media forms, such as online video and social networking.
Entries covered a wide variety of media, including web-based and off-line offerings, DVDs and desktop tools.
Social media made a lone appearance in the Best Online Educational Tool for Healthcare Professionals category. This was won by Cancer Intelligence’s ecancermedicalscience.com website, which incorporated social networking tools and blogs.
The awards presentation was overseen by former Labour party spin-doctor Alastair Campbell, who said it was great the pharma industry had these new awards, because “most of the good stuff that happens in Britain doesn’t get talked about”.
Prizes were split across four categories: education/clinical benefit, promotional use, technology and the premier awards, which picked an overall winner from each of the three categories.
The winners in full:
– Best offline project for healthcare professionals: Novartis – Virtual clinic (Creative Lynx)
– Best online educational tool for healthcare professionals: Cancer Intelligence – ecancermedicalscience.com (Brandcast Media)
– Best digital media project for patients: Wyeth Pharmaceuticals – Psoriasis, the naked truth (OgilvyHealthPR and ObivlyHealth Digital)
– Best digital tool for clinical or practical benefit: Novartis – Virtual clinic (Creative Lynx)
– Best e-learning tool for internal use: GE Healthcare – ekey (Big Pink)
-Best e-detail: AstraZeneca – Symbicort SMART e-detail (Doctors.net.uk)
-Best rep-led digital selling tool: Janssen-Cilag – Concerta XL e-detail (Creative Lynx)
– Best corporate or product website: GlaxoSmithKline – Avamys eResource campaign (CMPMedica and Pan Advertising)
-Best use of emerging technologies: AstraZeneca – Atherosclerosis and the vulnerable patient (Radical Departures)
– Best use of animation or film: Shire International – The changing faces of ADHD (McCann-Erickson Communication House Manchester)
– Best integrated campaign: Janssen-Cilag – Concerta XL brand revitalization (Creative Lynx)
– Best educational solution: Novartis – Virtual clinic (Creative Lynx)
– Best promotional solution: Janssen-Cilag – Concerta XLe-detail (Creative Lynx)
One final award remains undecided, that of Digital Media Pioneer for 2009, which will highlight the pharmaceutical company employee who led the way in 2008/9 in pushing their company forward in digital media. This award will be voted on by the end of the year and then announced in January 2010.